Sunday, July 28, 2019

You Are the Gift

You are the Gift



Sharon Eubank gave an amazing devotional at BYU in Spring 2018. It is entitled "Turning enemies into Friends". It is very inspiring and touches a few different topics, including the opportunity to serve others by simply being friends and loving others as our brothers and sisters. It really touched my heart and changed my perspective a little bit on serving others. When it comes to service, I truly enjoy doing a big physical activity or buying something to donate to someone/some organization. It simply makes me feel warm and like I have made a difference. Though that is still a good thing to do, Sister Eubank really opened my eyes and made me realize it isn't the only way to serve.

I have been blessed to apply the principles and lessons she taught during my volunteer experience here in Mexico. Besides a few water filters (that were donated, I did not purchase), my service has been sharing my knowledge with kids and adults here in Merida and simply being there for people. The place where I have made the biggest impact and have been the biggest gift for people was in this last project I was assigned to in the Centro de Desarrollo Juvenil Melchor Ocampo. Though I thoroughly enjoyed helping with the PE/recreational classes and giving lessons on health topics, my favorite part was simply befriending the kids and doing my best to make sure everyone felt like they were loved and cared for. The kids took a few days to warm up to us but after a few days they were so loving. Arriving in the morning, many kids would run up to me and greet me with my name followed by a hug or high five. At break time, several kids would ask me to participate in games of hide-n-seek, tag or basketball. As we would play, one by one more kids would ask to join in on the fun. It was so pleasing to see the joy in the kids' faces as we would run around together.

I feel I especially made an impact on the lives of a few little girls. Two little girls, Adalis and Miriam, seeked me out later in the first week and we became instant friends. They both seeked lots of attention and wouldn't let me put them down once I picked them up. Often time I had them both in my arms for long periods of time. Ironically Miriam started out hitting and kicking my leg but ended up constantly in my arms. Adalis was a little angel. By the end of the second week, she was reminding me that we were best friends and she wanted to see me again next summer and she loved me a lot. It was tough saying goodbye to her, to say the least, as I grew to love her dearly. Another girl was Naty. I could tell she was a bit of an outcast as she seldom had friends to play with during the break time. I would take time to have conversations with her and invite her to participate in the games as often as I could. On the last day she wrote me a little note and gave me candies to remind me that we were also best friends and that although we may never see each other again, she will never forget me and the time we spent together. It also broke my heart a little to say goodbye to her.

Through this experience, I really do feel like I was the gift to these kids I was able to work with. Me being there for them and showing them love and care is better than anything I could have bought them. Me encanta trabajar con los niños y sentir sus espiritus tan dulces y inocentes. Estoy seguro que quiero trabajar con niños en mi carrera y ser dentista pediatra. Estoy muy animado ser un tio en Octubre y tener un sobrinito! Sé que lo voy a amar muchisimo.

669 words


All the kids at the Center!
 Sisters, Ximena and Ariadna
 More of the great kids!
 We felt famous for a day haha
 Still going with pictures. Loving it!
Group B!
 Sunsets in Campeche along the main avenue
The Campeche Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment