Sunday, August 4, 2019

Nos Vemos Merida

Nos Vemos Merida



Thursday was my birthday! So I am now 23 years of age. Pretty crazy right? I worked with the Aline and Mildred in the morning at the dentist office. Due to the lack of a compressor, we only saw a couple patients for revisions and then just chatted. I was able to learn quite a bit about dentistry and the process of becoming a dentist in Mexico as well as develop friendships with both of them. Also, they were so kind as they brought some brownies and candles to celebrate my birthday! After a quick lunch, I went out with the social workers again and we visited a few more communities. It ended up being out last day and we gave out nearly 40 Days for Girls kits! In the evening, we did some birthday celebration as a group. First some of us went and got some corn and tostinachos for dinner. That was followed by cake! They bought a super good (but also extremely tough to cut) ice cream cake from Dairy Queen! Then we broke a piƱata and danced! Everyone who helped me celebrate by birthday and who wished me a happy birthday honestly made my day. I felt so loved and I am extremely grateful for my friends and family. They are the best!

Friday was a day of mixed emotions! It was time for everyone to say goodbye to their projects and the people we have worked with during our stay in Merida. At the hospital, we saw a couple patients but ate some food and chatted since it was the last day for Mildred and I. It was unfortunate that the week I was there, the compressor decided to break. Nevertheless, it was a great learning experience to be able to work with Aline and Mildred every morning for the last week. I was able to take a nice big nap that afternoon before heading out to dinner. Going out and celebrating would have been fun for the last Friday night but I was so physically drained that it ended up being a relaxing evening for me.

On Saturday we went to the ruins of Uxmal! They were a little over an hour away and they were way interesting.  We decided to hire a guide there and he was full of information about the Mayan civilization and Uxmal. However, I learned that a guide isn't always for me because I got quite distracted wanting to wander off and take pics, so I only picked about half of what he said. Next to Uxmal, there was a chocolate museum, the same one as in Valladolid! We each bought a chocolate cookie (or two) that they are famous for. Upon returning to Merida, we had a late lunch the rested for a bit. For dinner, a group of us went to Los Trompos. They have incredible Al Pastor pizza so of course we had to get it. That was followed by some DQ and a walked to Paseo de Montejo for the Noche Mexicana. It was really neat, with lots of street vendors and live performers.

On Sunday we went to sacrament meeting at 9 then came home to pack. After finishing packing, a group of people went to explore some caves but I stayed in Merida. We chilled at the Holiday Inn Express pool and ordered in some Dominos. It was a relaxed last day but it was good. It was a bit sad saying bye to everyone. The good part is I know it is just a "see you later" as the majority of us will be at BYU next semester and we will see each other around. 



 Tostinachos on my birthday!
 The official badge
 The Great Pyramid at Uxmal
 View from the top of the Sun Pyramid
 More ruins
 Last dinner in Merida!
Merida by night. Bye!

1 comment: